Are you searching for the best cargo roof box for your next camping trip? It’s not easy, is it? Camping can be fun and adventurous, but more so if you have the right equipment.
The cargo box is a must-have camping accessory. Whilst attached to the rooftop of your vehicle, it accommodates everything you need for your camping exploits from food to skis. Get those items off your back seat or trunk and free up that space for your fellow campers!
Picking the right cargo box for camping can be an arduous task, especially when there are so many different models out there of so many shapes and sizes.
In this post, we will help you choose the right cargo roof box for you.
Please note! our posts might contain affiliate links, using them will earn us a small commission that helps to keep the lights on, no added cost for you to do so, thanks!
Why do you need a cargo roof box for traveling with camping gear?
The right cargo roof box offers many advantages that can make your camping trip run smoothly and be more enjoyable, no matter the weather conditions you encounter along the way.
Here are some of the benefits:
1- Extra storage
Sleeping in the great outdoors doesn’t mean you should forgo all your creature comforts (minus the “creatures” of course) and the luxuries of home.
Irrespective of vehicle size and storage capacity, there will always be times we find we need a little more space. Roofing storage systems make that possible.
These systems offer masses of extra storage to ensure that you can bring everything you could possibly need to make your escapades a little more comfortable, particularly when it comes to planning for unpredictable weather.
The down comforter is a much-loved item for many campers, especially during colder temperatures, but too bulky to store inside your vehicle. Bring in the cargo roof system and problem solved!
Some veteran campers will attest, they load their cargo box with a spare down comforter, so that they can arrive at their campsite knowing they will be far more comfortable (and warmer!) than with sleeping bags alone.
2– Transporting extra gear:
Items that add luxury or comfort are not the only things you’ll need on your camping trip. Making the most of your spell away means bringing all the right stuff with you so that your time communing with nature is enjoyable and exciting.
Choosing the right-sized roofing system for all that equipment means you will easily manage, no matter how far away you are from civilization.
3– Securing your valuables:
Whilst we love the great outdoors, there is always concern over the safety of your valuables. Your worries end with the right cargo box, which locks for added security. You and your fellow campers can lock away your cell phones, tablets and other valuables, ready for when you next need them.
4- Keeping food away from critters:
It’s no secret that camping in the Great Outdoors means sharing your space with Mother Nature’s wildlife. But, this doesn’t mean you have to share your provisions too!
Essentially, animals wandering onto your campsite in search of food creates two hazards; one to the animal and the other to the camper.
Locking away food in a cargo box means your food is safe away from them, and there is less chance that they will be drawn to you.
5 – Keeping driving views unobstructed:
When we cram our vehicles with every single item we could possibly need, our vision whilst driving can be severely obscured, thus creating a safety hazard.
A cargo box keeps your journey comfortable and your vision unobstructed, allowing you to drive safely and enjoy those scenic routes on the way to your chosen campsite.
Best cargo roof box for traveling with camping gear
These are our top picks, which hopefully will take away the hassle of choosing the best cargo roof box for you:
1. Thule Force Cargo Box – Rooftop Car Cargo Box
Thule is a top-of-the-line cargo equipment brand. With more than 70 years of experience in the industry, their Force product line is the best available in the market.
● Tough: The diamond-textured AeroSkin lid is designed to endure the harsh impact.
● Mounting system and loading: No tools are required for installation and setup takes about 5 minutes. With the dual-sided opening, the inbuilt lifters keep the lid open for your convenience. When you close the lid, the box locks itself, thanks to Thule’s SecureLock technology.
● Design: Aerodynamically designed to reduce wind resistance and noise. This box looks sleek!
● Size: Available from 13 cubic feet right up to 21 cubic feet. There is also an Alpine version that can be used to store winter sports equipment.
Overall view: Quieter and more stable than other boxes. Easy to install, but large enough to carry a lot of equipment. Comes with a lifetime warranty. Not fully waterproof, it’s just water resistant – not great in a rainstorm! Also, the lock has a tendency to break.
2 SportRack Vista XL Cargo Box
SportsRack offer cargo boxes, roof racks, snowsports carriers, and watersport carriers. This particular cargo box from their range is a great low priced unit without skimping on design.
● Tough: Made from high-quality ABS plastic, making it highly durable. It can endure UV rays for years and show no signs of fading. It comes with a built-in cylinder lock.
● Mounting system and loading: Easy to install, but needs a roof rack system. Comes with a hardware mounting kit for quick setup and removal. Compatible with round, square and most factory racks. Only opens from the rear. However, this heavier carrier would be tough to unload if you have an SUV or Van.
● Design: Aerodynamically designed to reduce wind resistance and noise.
● Size: 18 cubic feet large and can hold up to 100 pounds of gear.
Overall view: Excellent value for money. A low price and huge size. The rear opening makes it difficult to load/unload. Also, not waterproof.
3 Yakima SkyBox Aerodynamic Rooftop Cargo
This company sits alongside Thule when it comes to reputation in the industry. Their boxes are a little more costly but of high quality.
● Tough: Textured lid with internal lid stiffeners adding rigidity and the SuperLatch ensures security. Can lock on either side, so you can lock or open it from the right or left. When you unlock it, you can’t remove the key until the box is completely shut and re-locked – so you cannot lock your keys inside by mistake! Made from 80% recycled material – a good choice for the environmentalists amongst us.
● Mounting system and loading: The quick-release mounting hardware fits most crossbars. Yakima will guide you on the best rack system that fits your car size, which they sell separately.
● Design: Aerodynamically designed to reduce wind resistance and noise. Its 75-pound weight means you need two people to mount it. Also, as its opening is small, you will struggle to get a large suitcase into it.
● Size: Available from 12 cubic feet right up to 21 cubic feet.
Overall view: Spacious and durable, but the weight and small opening can be a little off-putting considering the higher price. However, this is waterproof, unlike the two systems above.
4 Rightline Gear Sport 2 Car Top Carrier
Rightline Gear offers carrier bags, truck & SUV tents, as well as jeep products. They consider fun, comfort and freedom in all their offerings.
● Tough: Constructed from UV protected PVC Semi-Coated Mesh XT and Hydrotuff, using Dual Seam Technology. These materials are sewn together for strength and welded along the stitching to make the seams waterproof. This is a highly durable cargo bag.
● Mounting system and loading: Can be attached with or without a roof rack. Simply attach the carrier’s straps to a vehicle’s roof rack. Alternatively, you can use car clips to attach the straps to a vehicle’s door-frame weather molding. This bag comes equipped with everything needed to load it, except car clips – sold separately for a few extra dollars. Installation takes a few minutes. The system includes a carrier, attachment straps and sewn-in set up guide. This is a good solution for those using smaller cars.
● Design: This is a soft case carrier. Once used, fold down the carrier for storage in a stuff sack.
● Size: 15 cubic feet.
Overall view: Their website states that it is 100% waterproof. It comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. However, this bag needs to be packed to the brim, otherwise you risk damaging it – could be a deal-breaker for those of you who are constantly on the move.
These are our best picks. We have tried to include some pros and cons to help you make a better choice. Make sure you choose something that fits your car, can withstand the weather, is secure and gives you the storage space that you need and you are bound to pick well. Happy camping guys!
“This article was written by Alex from BestRoofBox.Com”